Sunday, 13 December 2009

Chocolate Refrigerator Cake for Adults


I may not have managed to do much in the way of Christmas baking this year, but I did get to make a rather rich and fruity version of a "no bake cake" today. We may not have mince pies to offer the good folk who drop in to alleviate some of CTs boredom as he continues to languish on the sofa, but I do now have an alternative Christmas offering!

This is what I did:
  • Melted 200g Maya Gold (dark orange spiced chocolate) with 4oz unsalted butter and 4 tbsp double cream.
  • In a large bowl, broke up 8oz digestive biscuits into small pieces (but not crumbs) with the end of a rolling pin.
  • Added 4oz walnut pieces (again not too small), 2oz goji berries, 2oz crystallised ginger - chopped and 2oz dried figs - chopped.
  • Mixed in chocolate mixture until all thoroughly combined, but taking care not to break up the biscuits and other pieces too much.
  • Turned out into a 9" sq cake thingy and left in the cold for a couple of hours. Normally, one would expect this to go into the fridge to set, but our kitchen is so cold, fridge was not needed.
  • When set cut into 24 rectangular pieces.
As well as being truly scrumptious, this is such a quick and simple thing to make. Lots of healthy fruit and walnuts and with no additional sugar, this was just the right side of sweet for our taste. Very rich and choclatey, this is definitely an adult version of a kids' favourite and a little goes a long way. Not quite the sort of cakes I was planning on doing for Christmas, but the figs give it that festive flavour. And who knows what I might be able to squeeze in next weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Oh how weird, great minds think alike as they say, our tummy's must have rumbled at the same time and we must have had the same solution as I made this on Friday and posted it on my site too! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. scrummy, maya gold is just the best. I can almost taste them from here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful, I have not tried Maya - I will look out for it. I love it that you put healthly elements into such lovely treats. Lucie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to make something similar to this - it's heavenly. I love the richness and the texture

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh yum haven't made anything like that for years. The Maya Gold would make for a great taste too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm - just heading to the kitchen ...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you so please do leave a comment or question.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails